MANCHESTER – Applications are being accepted until July 21 for the Manchester Township Youth Police Academy, a summer camp that runs from August 14 to 17 for students who are entering the 6th, 7th or 8th grade this September.
Youth Police Academy, held at Manchester Township Police Headquarters, is designed to operate like an actual police academy for youngsters with an interest in law enforcement, and is not meant to be a boot camp for troubled youth.
Cadets will learn about the history of the Manchester Township Police, receive tours of police headquarters, become familiar with various police procedures and what it takes to succeed in law enforcement, as well as take a field trip to the New Jersey State Police Museum and Learning Center. A strong emphasis will be placed on self-respect, respecting others, teamwork and achieving goals. There will be both educational and physical training activities in order to demonstrate law enforcement techniques and training.
Youth Police Academy Requirements:
- Complete and sign an application in black ink. Applications can be found HERE or picked up in the main office of any township elementary school, Manchester Township Middle School or at the Manchester Township Police Records window during normal business hours.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or principal
- Completed medical certification form
- Signed medical release form and civil liability form
- Completed essay question
- Must be a Manchester resident and a 6th, 7th or 8th grade student by September 2017
Completed applications must be submitted no later than July 21 to Manchester Township Police Headquarters at 1 Colonial Drive, Manchester, NJ 08759. Applicants who are accepted into the Youth Police Academy will receive notification from the Manchester Township Police.
For any questions, please contact Patrolman Chris Cerullo at 732-657-2009, ext. 4201.